Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Addition Practice

We've been working hard on addition so far this year. I've worked a lot on truly understanding what addition means, and what place value means. We started off by doing number bonds. I talk about it in this post {Singapore Math}. Pretty much we did A LOT of review on making ten, and bigger numbers and how to break apart numbers. With the help of Singapore disks (Thanks Donors Choose!), we made ten frames with dry erase markers on our desk and added one digit numbers. My principal got to see this, and luckly I didn't get in trouble for writing on the desks! :) 

After tons of practice with making ten and number bonds, we are working on simple addition to the thousands place. The method that has been really successful for me is expanded form addition.


By using expanded form addition, my students are able to add numbers in their head with lightning speed. I'm not quiet there this year, but last years' students amazed me with their math abilities, especially mental math. I think this form of addition also encourages a thorough understanding of place value, instead of following a rote procedure. Since CCSS asks that students do not learn the traditional algorithm for addition and subtraction, this helps students to be able to quickly and easily complete addition problems. This method also cuts down on errors from incorrect use of the standard algorithm.

This packet, with 13 worksheets for teaching this method of addition and number bonds is available at my TpT store {here}.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!