Thursday, January 24, 2013

Parts of Speech lessons

I have been working on writing this week in my classroom. I pulled in a few things from Step Up to Writing. It is a great program, and starts very simply and moves up in difficulty. Today we worked on sentence fragments. The students had fun making the fragments into complete sentences. They loved making each other laugh with their silly sentences! Tomorrow we will be working on sentence parts. We will be talking about what a sentence needs to be interesting and complete, the who, what, when, where and why. We will talk about how the what is verbs and the who is nouns.

They will practice their noun, verb, adjective, and adverb identification by playing Parts of Speech Sort using this game board and recording sheet.

After they are able to identify parts of speech, we are also going to add in superlative adjectives and adverbs, which is Common Core Standard 3.L.1. I have never had to teach superlatives in third grade, but my students seemed to know what they were, we just had to work on the spelling of them! Now that they know what they are, they will be able to practice their skills during literacy centers.

I have created a few games for 3.L1, it includes parts of speech and superlative adjectives and adverbs games. There are three boards and 117 total cards with recording sheets for each game and two versions of each game. I hope this will help you teach this kind of boring stuff. I really hate grammar! :) Parts of Speech Games are available for purchase {here} in my TpT store.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!